Sunday, June 12, 2011

preemie diapers: 3, marie: 0

Preemie diapers can hardly be called diapers at all. They're more like little tissues with some velcro tabs on them. The nurses in the NICU are now in the habit of asking me to change Caley's diaper if I'm around when it's time for a diaper change. It's a little daunting with all the lines and wires on her legs, but I'd been doing okay. Until this evening. Before I even started to change her diaper, I wrecked the first new diaper when I ripped off one of the velcro tabs. So I started with a second one and got it horribly tangled in the wires at first, but managed (with a little assistance) to get it positioned correctly. But by then, I had the velcro tabs attached to the old diaper, and made an inextricable mess. Then came the third diaper. It didn't get tangled in the wires and I got it in place, but then lost the velcro tabs under Caley. The nurse finally took mercy on me and finished it. That's when I knew it was time to go home.

Caley fared much better than Mommy today. She is off of the CPAP machine, and using only a nasal cannula with a little oxygen. We were warned several times that she may have to go back on the CPAP, but so far she's doing well with just the cannula. She also continues to work on opening her eyes - most of her left eye is open, and a little bit of her right eye is open. And she keeps trying very hard to get them open!

Caley also got to try out some stylish clothes today. In the picture below, she has on a little pink gown sent to us by the Spenglers, and a maroon bow that Nurse Kodi brought for her. (Which is glued to her head with surgical glue -- already a slave to fashion.) Her face is a little reddish and swollen right now from the CPAP machine (and the red is even more pronounced in the photo than it is in person), but here's our little girl.


Keep praying for strong lungs and a healthy digestive system!

2 comments:

  1. surgical glue? nice :) She's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie -

    Just a quick note to tell you that you, Kirk & Caley are in my thoughts and prayers. I remember the days and nights in the NICU with the triplets; there are no words for that time.

    But, I can see from your posts that you have already picked up on one of the most important truths about the NICU; the nurses are angels. Rely on them, they will get you through.

    And you are right, preemie diapers are basically a joke! Make sure you keep a few though. When Caley is a happy little toddler running around in size 4 and 5 diapers you will pull out the preemie diaper and marvel at how far all of you have come.

    Take good care & enjoy your daughter. She is truly a miracle.

    All the best,
    Shannon Gausman

    ReplyDelete